With faster time to first frame and Real-Time streaming, you have more interaction, which leads to increased engagement that drives revenue. Find out how we can take your business to the next level.Learn More
Careers @ Phenix
Become part of the team that makes it happen
Phenix is an exciting and fast-growing high-tech company that is changing how people connect. Our technology revolutionizes real-time content delivery and provides means for human connection in the digital age.
Our headquarters are in Chicago's blossoming technology epicenter in the River North neighborhood, though our team is located around the world. We are always looking for talented people to join our ranks — focused, dedicated, inspired, fun people who are ready to make things happen.
We take pride in how we build our systems, mentor our team members and interact with our customers. We follow the manifesto for agile software development and practice SOLID object-oriented design. Most of us have extensively used many programming languages during our careers. We see programming languages as the means of getting things done, not the essence of what defines us as engineers. We become experts in new technologies not because it is exciting (it is!) but because it enables us to create something better and faster. We strive for end-to-end perfection in delivering flawless features to our customers. A happy customer is the ultimate reward for our time. We are egoless because we believe that everyone can learn something from everyone else.
As a Video Engineer you will help deliver state-of-the-art video playback experiences that allow users to stay engaged in the interactive video experiences that we deliver via our real-time streaming platforms.
We Are Looking For Someone Who:
- Has knowledge & experience related to video streaming, cloud computing, and computer science
- Understands the impact of delivering high quality, non-buffering playback experiences to users across a wide range of networks and devices
- Has a proven ability to improve on existing practices and thrive in a culture that consistently delivers high quality software in a rapidly changing market
- Thrives in a fast-paced startup environment and is capable of anticipating and meeting business demands
- Is an effective communicator with other engineers as well as colleagues on the business side
- Operates with a sense of urgency and has a demonstrated ability to self-motivate and push projects through from inception to post-production release
- Values accountability and displays a high degree of integrity
- Optimize video and audio codec usage, compression and platform support
- Create and optimize support for additional codecs such as VP9, AV1, H265
- Implement systems and feedback loops that allow us to optimize for KPIs related to the video playback experience
- Collaborate with our DevOps team to put in place methods and tools for state-of-the-art content delivery
- Collaborate on building a content encoding pipeline that encodes content using state-of-the-art methods
- Partner with internal teams to troubleshoot streaming challenges across all supported platforms
- Work with DRM vendors and solutions to provide studio-compliant DRM playback across all platforms
- Follow standards bodies around audio and video compression codecs and device playback capabilities (SMTPE, W3C, DASH-IF, AV1, HDR, et al.)
- BS in Computer Science
- 4+ years of working with common encoding software such as ffmpeg, Elemental and similar
- 4+ years of experience coding with C/C++
- Hardware accelerated encoding and decoding experience
- Video encoding and decoding on mobile devices (Android & iOS)
- Located in downtown Chicago (River North neighborhood)
- Competitive benefits package
- Collaborating with and learning from a world class team of business professionals and technologists
- Working with a global and diverse customer base
Full Time C++ Engineer
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to join our streaming team.
Responsibilities: Building features for our real-time streaming engine in C++ that will be deployed to mobile, desktop and server systems.
- Robust background working with C++ with a focus on networking.
- Experience analyzing systems and identifying and solving performance issues.
- You are fearless! Refactoring and changing existing code to make it better and faster is exciting.
- Dedicated to getting it done. It troubles you to leave unfinished work behind.
- Passionate about real-time communication.
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject
- Scalable servers written in C++11 (preferably) or C++.
- Familiarity with TCP/UDP networking - RTP/SRTP/RTCP - ICE (STUN, TURN) - Video and audio over RTP/SRTP - WebRTC - SIP
- Familiarity with video and audio codecs - VP8 - H.264 - Opus - AAC - PCM U-Law
Phenix is hiring an experienced frontend engineer to help support the ongoing development of Phenix real-time video streaming platform that provides low-latency streaming at high quality and massive scale.
Responsibilities: Frontend Development in React and Angular
- React + redux experience (async actions (thunk or sagas), reducers, selectors)
- Angular 2
- Ability to write clean modular and reusable components
- Webpack + babel/transpiling experience
- HTML5 and Modular CSS
- Familiarity with frontend testing frameworks such as jest, karma/mocha and selenium
- Deep knowledge of cross-browser compatibility
- Experience developing for multiple platforms (OS, devices and browsers)
- Experience with mission critical software environments
- Experience developing real-time applications
- Experience with mobile development
- Node.js experience